EVENTS & BOOK CLUBS
NEW YORK, NYWednesday, March 25 | 6:30 AM
58 Warren Street
New York, NY 10007
STAMFORD, CTFriday, March 27 | 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
HARRY BENNETT BRANCH
115 Vine Road
Stamford, CT 06905
GREENWICH, CTTuesday, April 21 | 7:00 PM
101 West Putnam Avenue,
Greenwich, CT 06830
NEWBURYPORT, MASaturday, April 25 | 11:00 AM
Greek Orthodox Church Annunciation
7 Harris St.,
Newburyport, MA 01950
SALEM, MASunday, April 26 | 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM
WICKED GOOD BOOKSTORE
215 Essex Street
Salem, MA 01970
BOSTON, MAMonday, April 27 | 7:00 PM
10 Langley Road
WASHINGTON DEPOT, CTFriday, May 8 | 12:00 PM
The Hickory Stick Bookshop
2 Green Hill Road
Wahsington Depot, CT 06794
Book ClubsInvite M.J. to Visit Your Book Club virtually on Skype
I'd be happy to come and talk to your club. It's fun and its totally free. Using Skype we can talk about one of my novels on line.
If you don't know how to use Skype here's an easy to follow article: How to Use Skype video. You can download Skype for free here.
And if you'd prefer to use the phone – that works too.
Plase fill out this form, and we can schedule a visit.
Here are some fun recipies for what to eat and drink when you're disucssing The Book of Lost Fragrances or Seduction. Or any of my other novels.
Book Club Coctail: Le Parfum Royal
I've created this cocktail in honor of all the French perfumers I researched and whose work I admired.
Put a tablespoon of rose syrup in the bottom of a champagne glass, fill with your favorite bubbly. Sprinkle a dash of grated lemon rind on top along with one dried and candied violet.
Recipe for Rose Syrup
(makes 6 cups)
- 3 packed cups of rose petals
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups white sugar
- Put the rose petals in a large bowl and be sure to have a heavy pot cover that fits over the bowl snugly.
- Bring the water to a boil, pour it over the rose petals and quickly cover.
- Once the water cools, strain and discard the petals.
- Mix the water with the sugar bring to boil till the sugar dissolves. Don't let it boil.
- Refrigerated will last about 1 month in fridge.
- To eat: Baguette with Saint Andre Cheese, Gryner, Radishes with Sel de Mer and Nicoise Olives. Chocoltae Mousse for deseart.
Recepie for the mousse from Bon Apeitit magazine
- 3 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (do not exceed 61% cacao), chopped
- 3 large eggs (preferably organic), separated, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- Place chocolate in medium metal bowl.
- Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Remove bowl from over water.
- Add egg yolks to melted chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites and pinch of salt in another medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, beating constantly until whites are glossy and medium-firm peaks form.
- Using silicone or rubber spatula, fold 1/4 of beaten whites into chocolate mixture to lighten.
- Gently fold remaining whites into chocolate mixture just until incorporated (do not overmix or mixture may deflate).
- Divide mousse among 4 bowls. Cover and chill until set, about 4 hours. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.
- Beat cream and 1 teaspoon sugar in another medium bowl until peaks form. Spoon whipped cream atop mousse.
Background music for the club meeting:
I wrote The Book of Lost Fragrances with music in the background all along the way from the song my husband wrote for the book - TOGETHER - to La Vie En Rose by Edith Piaf..
All was lost until you found me...
Long lonely night until you saved me from the darkness.
Now the light of you has broken through to move me.
Hold me close so you'll believe me
Whenever I say that we can stay this way forever.
TOGETHER - Music and Lyrics by Doug Scofield" (Listen to a Sample)
- La Vie en Rose by Edith Piaf
- Gregorian Chant Benedictinos
- You Can't Always Get What You Want by the Rolling Stones
- Time of Your Life by Green Day